My Photo
Name:
Location: Huaraz, Ancash, Peru

Having mastered the University of Montana's IYFD program, I journeyed to Peru with the US Peace Corps. Currently, I'm discovering Peru while living in the gorgeous Andes mountains in beautiful Ancash. Come visit!

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Few and Far Between

There's really no good excuse for not writing in over a month. Things have been going really well. God has been challenging me in new and exciting ways. He's endowing upon me the power of the Holy Spirit. My roommate and I have decided to start memorizing scripture verses together. This past week's was:

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and the strength of his power." Ephesians 6:10

This week's is:

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and love and self-discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7

In my church we are memorizing 1 John 4:10:

"In this is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his son to be the propitiation for our sins."

And yes we do have to memorize it with propitiation instead of atoning sacrifice.

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I love scripture memorization. It gives me something to think about during idle times. It keeps me from being David in 2 Samuel 11: 1, "In the spring, at the time when kings go off to war, David sent Joab out with the king's men and the whole Israelite army. They destroyed the Ammonites and besieged Rabbah. But David remained in Jerusalem."

Obviously David was not where he should have been. And so often in life, I find myself in the same place. Not where I should be. Especially in my mind. So I've learned as Psalm 119:11 states, "I keep your word in my heart, so that I will not sin against you." Meditation on God's scripture can happen at any time and any place if we carry the proper tools with us. I have thought endlessly about the Lord's prayer recently. And I have decided that, "Your Kingdom come, your will be done," is my new meditative "mantra". God draws us closer to him, and closer to understanding when we take the time to memorize simple but powerful verses from the word. I've heard of people who say they can't memorize and won't memorize, but that's the wrong attitude. God can help us memorize, and it's important. It's hard to send others off to spiritual war when we decide that we're just going to hang out in Jerusalem. I hope that this new discipline will draw me closer to the heart of God, and I wish that for all believers.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home